Visiting Fort Clatsop
This week, we take you to learn about the Lewis & Clark Expedition, hear stories of their adventures from actors in costume and see a replica of the fort they built after reaching the Pacific Ocean – all at Fort Clatsop.
While visiting a replica fort may not sound like an exciting morning, the rangers made this a very enjoyable experience They were interactive, knowledgeable and engaging for kids and adults alike. At the end of the gun demonstration, there was a guided walk to the coast, a nature walk with a ranger and a kids craft activity lined up. In the end, both of the my boys were begging to stay, and I was the one dragging them away for lunch.
- Visit the museum with exhibits about the Lewis & Clark Expedition
- Watch one of the movies in the theatre that explain the Expedition and the history at Fort Clatsop.
- Tour the replica of Fort Clatsop and talk to knowledgable rangers in costume.
- Listen to dramatic stories from the Expedition including a demonstration of how their guns were fired.
- Stay for kids crafts and activities.
- Go on a guided hike from the Fort down to the ocean and learn about the plant and animal life in the area.
- Visit the gift shop for books, souvenirs or stuffed animals.
Our Tips for Visiting
- Come early before the crowds arrive – which makes finding parking and interacting with the rangers easier.
- Pack a picnic lunch if you want to stay all day – there are plenty of areas to explore and learn about.
- If you are in the area for awhile, ask about the Jr. Ranger program at the gift shop.
More information about Fort Clatsop can be found at the website for the Lewis & Clark National Historical Park.
If you enjoyed our video and think your friends would like it, we would love for you to share it using one of the buttons below. If you are interested in coming along with us on all of our travels, you can join us on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, WordPress or via e-mail. Thanks for exploring with us!
© Divergent Life Media, LLC